Coos Bay, Oregon
Place of birth
- At one time Pre owned all the track U.S records from the 2,000 meter to the 10,000 meter (7 total)
- A good and strong leader
- Has integrity (stands up for what they believe and act accordingly)
- Perseverant / Tenacious (keeps going despite challenges)
- Single minded / Focused (has a purpose)
- Inspiring / Charismatic
External linkSteve Prefontaine Info
Quotations"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Pre
"Somebody may beat me, but they are gonna have to bleed to do it." - Steve Pre
The man who change the running world forever
Steve Prefontaine was a famous American middle and long distance runner, and competed in the 1972 Olympics. He was a great influence on the world of running and was known for his toughness.
Pre was born in Coos Bay, Oregon to a middle class family. He tried out for the football team in his early years of high school, but when he realized he was not built like all of the other kids, he tried out for the cross country team, and that is when the legend was born. Steve set many national high school records at his time at Marshfield High. Pre ran for the Oregon Ducks in college, and set many records there also. He competed in the 1972 Olympics, and was training for the 1976 Olympics when he tragically died in a car crash outside of Eugene, Oregon.
Life in Steve Prefontaine's world
Was Steve Prefontaine a Hero?
- Pre is a hero because he changed the way running was meant to be looked at it. His attitude and drive that he brought to the sport was a 'run now, ask questions later' kind of attitude.
Things you might not know about Steve PrefontaineSteve Prefontaine was the first person to wear Nike apparel as an advertisement. Bill Bowerman thought that someone as good as Pre would be a great advertiser.
Terms and Conditions