He was the first black president of South Africa. He served from 1994-1999
- First black president of South Africa
- Opened South Africa's first black law firm
- Established the Nelson Mandela Foundation
- July 18th, Nelson Mandela International Day
- Earned the Nobel Peace Prize December, 1993
- Brave / Courageous
- A good and strong leader
- Good or moral (strong beliefs or principles)
- Has integrity (stands up for what they believe and act accordingly)
- Inspiring / Charismatic
- Just and fair minded
External linkvisit www.history.com
Quotations"It always seems impossible until it's done" - Nelson Mandela
"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die." - Nelson Mandela
A voice of equality
Nelson was a political visionary striving towards the eradication of racism and the establishment of equality for all.
Nelson Mandela was born July 18th, 1918 into the royal family of the Xhosa-speaking Thimbu tribe in the South African village of Mvezo. He pursued education having fled after discovering that he had been arranged to marry. He returned and acted as an advocate for the black population of South Africa. He stood for the end of the apartheid and the dawn of equality. Shortly thereafter he was arrested for nearly two decades. He returned only to lead his nation to a better time when he was elected as the first black president of South Africa (serving 1994-1999). He then served his nation through the continuation of the pursuit of equality until he died from a recurring lung infection at the age of 95 on December 5, 2013.
Life in Nelson Mandela's world
Was Nelson Mandela a Hero?
- He fought and stood on behalf of equality for all
- He spoke out to inform his people of the danger of the spread of AIDS
- Was imprisoned for almost two decades and forgave his jailors despite the abuse he went through
- He created a better place for all in South Africa
Things you might not know about Nelson MandelaHe excelled in track and boxing during his time at a Methodist secondary school.
Terms and Conditions