Martin Luther King
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
He was born here
- I had a dream speech
- American Civil Rights Movement
- He fought for the rights of African-Americans
- His aim was promoting their civil rights
- Brave / Courageous
- A good and strong leader
- Altruistic (puts other first e.g. risks or gives life for others)
- Visionary (has far reaching ideas)
- Good or moral (strong beliefs or principles)
- Has integrity (stands up for what they believe and act accordingly)
- Perseverant / Tenacious (keeps going despite challenges)
- Single minded / Focused (has a purpose)
- Inspiring / Charismatic
- Kind and compassionate
- Just and fair minded
External linkBBC children's history
Quotations"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin luther king jr
"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." - Martin luther king jr
He makes the "I had a dream" speech.
Martin Luther King Jr made the famous I have a dream speech that inspired loads of people and helped the black people get more appreciated.
Martin Luther King was born on 15 January 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia (US). Originally named Michael, he was later renamed Martin, like his father, a Baptist minister. His mother, Alberta Williams King, was a schoolteacher. He entered Morehouse College in 1944 and forged a lifelong friendship with his teacher, Benjamin Mays. Together with his father's influence, it was partly his respect for Mays which led him to the Church. He was ordained in his last semester. He graduated from Morehouse in 1948 and undertook postgraduate study first at Crozer Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania and then, in 1951, at Boston University's School of Theology. Once there he completed his dissertation which, it was later revealed, had been partially plagiarised, and won his doctorate in 1955. It was in Boston that he met his wife Coretta Scott, who he married in 1953. In 1954, he became pastor of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama, where Rosa Parks was famously arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a bus.
Life in Martin Luther King's world
Was Martin Luther King a Hero?
- He inspired
- He was brave
- He was honest
- He was kind
- He was a fair minded person
Things you might not know about Martin Luther King
1) His name was originally Michael, not Martin. His father was also Michael King, hence why Martin Luther King Jr. was originally named Michael King Jr. However, after a trip to Germany in 1931, Michael King Sr. changed his own name in homage to historic German theologian Martin Luther. Michael King Jr. was two years old at the time and King Sr. made the decision to change his son's name to Martin Luther as well.
2) At the age of 12, he seems to have tried to commit suicide. It was May of 1941 when his grandmother passed away after a heart attack. At the time of this event, King Jr. was off disobeying his parents by going to watch a parade when they told him not too. When he came home and learned his grandmother had died, he went upstairs and jumped from the second story window of his house.
Terms and Conditions