Thomas Fowell Buxton
Pamphlet by Thomas Fowell Buxton, to promote his plan to abolish slavery in Africa.
SOCIETY FOR THE
EXTINCTION OF THE SLAVE TRADE
AND FOR THE
CIVILIZATION OF AFRICA
INSTITUTED, JUNE, 1839
PRESIDENT - HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE ALBERT, K.G.
PRESENT STATE OF AFRICA
Upwards of 30 years, and more than 15 millions of money, have been consumed in fruitless attempts to put down the slave trade; yet it has doubled during this period. The annual loss of life, caused by the trade, has risen from 17 to 25 per cent.; - 170,000 Africans are commuted to be annually reduced to slavery; - 300,000 more, annually to perish; - and the total annual loss to Africa, to amount to 500,000 persons.*
Africa, immensely rich in natural resources, - teeming with Inhabitants, - anxious for European Manufacturers and instruction - still remains, under the desolating influence of the slave trade, and uncultivated desert, - degraded by superstition, and deluged with blood.
MR. BUXTON'S PLAN
Mr. Buxton emphatically declares, that next to Christianity, (the great and only effectual cure,) the "deliverance of Africa" is to be sought in "calling out her own resources."
Part of this duty devolves on Government, in enforcing the Treaties already made for the suppression of the trade; obtaining other and more efficient treaties, with native chiefs as well as with European and other Powers; and promoting and protecting the legitimate efforts of individuals engaged in the same object.
Another part devolves on individuals, which he proposes to divide between two Associations, namely, - first,a Benevolent Society to watch over and befriend the interests of Africa; and, secondly a Company which shall cultivate portions of her soil. The object of the one to be charity - of the other,legitimate gain; distinct, therefore, in their purposes, and separate in their management, yet both accordant in principle, and conducting to the same benevolent end.
*Vide "The African Slave Trade, and its remedy," by T. Fowell Buxton Esq. p.202. Murray, 1840.
For an original version of this document - see attachment below
Source: With kind permission of Norfolk Record
Ref: UPC 235